Internship - Spring 2018
Derris is a full-service brand strategy and public relations agency headquartered in New York City. An internship with Derris is a great educational opportunity for students seeking a career in Public Relations, Marketing or Communications. You will observe and learn how to work with clients to shape their message and communicate that story through media and have fun doing it!
Derris focuses on consumer/digital, issues/crisis public relations and strategic communications. Interns have the opportunity to observe and learn from their team to build a strong skill set in one area of PR, while also having access to all three capabilities here at Derris. He/she will learn from a wide variety of projects including:
· Tracking incoming media and information in the form of magazines, newspapers and more
· Learning how to build and update media lists
· Clipping/archiving articles in print and online formats
· Media monitoring: following social media for topics/trends, monitoring for competitor news / activations
· Learning how to prepare for proposal meetings, shoots, interviews and events
· Attending company brainstorms
· Joining calls with clients and interviews with reporters
· Developing skills in drafting op-eds, contributor posts, talking points, pitches and client bios
The role will be educational and exciting providing the Intern with the opportunity to gain foundational knowledge in public relations and experience supporting multiple clients in a wide variety of industries. This is a great opportunity to enhance skills in organization, multi-tasking and inter-office communications. We offer developmental workshops, an end-of-semester project and access to interacting with employees at all levels of the company. We want our interns to have the best experience possible and therefore invite them to listen in on calls, observe important meetings and attend office events.
Students applying for the unpaid internship will ideally be majoring in Public Relations, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field and will possess the following:
· Strong writing ability; excellent verbal communication skills
· Solid understanding of social media
· Proficiency in Google Suite
· Preference will be given to applicants with a GPA of 3.0 or higher
· Desired class level will be Junior or Senior but all class levels will be considered
· Professional presence and demeanor
Compensation: Unpaid, eligible for related college credit
Location: 48 W 25th St., Floor 11, New York, NY
Duration: Beginning of February to April/May; flexible based on class schedule
Hours: Standard hours are10:00 am – 5:00 pm; flexible based on class schedule, max of 25 hrs/week
Thank you for your interest in Derris!